Before you begin
Before you install the official Coil Web Monetization plugin, make sure you:
- Have a payment pointer
- Meet the minimum system requirements
Minimum system requirements
- PHP 7.2 or newer
- WordPress 5.0+
Install the plugin
- Sign in to your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Go to Plugins.
- Click Add New.
- Search for keyword Coil. You'll see an official plugin and a few unofficial ones.
- Install the official Coil Web Monetization plugin.
- Click Activate.
After the plugin is installed, Coil appears as an option in the navigation menu in your admin dashboard.
Add your payment pointer
A payment pointer is required for you to receive payments from Coil when Coil members visit your site. If you use the plugin without adding a payment pointer, you won't receive payments.
- Click Coil. The Welcome tab appears.
- Click Add Payment Pointer. The General Settings tab appears.
- Enter your payment pointer in the provided field.
- Click Save Changes.
Add a payment pointer for each user (optional)
If you have a user with their own payment pointer, you can associate the payment pointer with that user in your WordPress instance.
When that user authors a post, their payment pointer is inserted into the Web Monetization meta tag on that post instead of the global payment pointer.
- Select Users.
- Edit an existing user.
- Enter the new payment pointer in the User Payment Pointer field.
- Click Update Profile.