Effective September 28, 2021, Uphold is no longer permitting new sign-ups from China.
Use Uphold to have your earnings paid out in USD or any other supported currency. Money earned from Coil is sent to Uphold in USD. Then, Uphold converts it into whatever currency you chose when you set up your wallet and deposits your earnings in real time. You can choose to exchange that currency for any other currency supported by Uphold.
Check out Uphold's site for a list of supported currencies: https://uphold.com/en/transparency. Contact Uphold if you need help exchanging one currency for another.
Opening an Uphold account only takes a few minutes. They collect information such as your name, date of birth and country of residence. If you're a resident of the United States, you must also provide your SSN or TIN.
If you are an individual, you can sign up through Uphold's app or website. If you are a business, you must sign up through their website. For more information about business accounts, review Uphold's help doc.
Uphold is in the process of obtaining a BitLicense in the state of New York. Until the BitLicense is issued they cannot support cryptocurrency transactions in New York. You can still set up an account and claim funds in a supported currency, such as USD.
- Download and install the Uphold app or visit https://uphold.com/signup.
- Select Sign Up.
- Complete all fields. If you're on the website, select your account type (individual or business).
- If you selected United States as your country of residence, select your state and your citizenship. If your country of residence is not the United States, you may be asked to provide additional information.
- If you selected United States as your country of residence, you're asked for your full legal name, date of birth, and SSN/TIN. Enter your details and click Next, then confirm your details. If you didn't select United States as your country of residence, you may be asked to provide additional information.
- If asked, enter your phone number to receive a one-time verification code, then click Next.
- Enter the verification code sent to your phone.
- If you selected United States as your country of residence, you're asked to enter your home address. Enter your details and click Next. If you didn't select United States as your country of residence, you may be asked to provide additional information.
- Check your email to confirm your email address.
- After confirming your email address, you may be asked to answer a few extra questions so you can move funds to and from external crypto wallets. These questions are required to comply with certain countries' anti-money laundering (AML) regulations. You can select to answer these questions now or later.
At some point, you'll also be required to verify your identity. When you must do this depends on your country of residence. For more information, see https://support.uphold.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038793552.
Set up your account to receive payments from Coil
These steps are for new Uphold users to create a payment pointer. If you already have a payment pointer and are looking to create more, see Create Additional Payment Pointers.
As you set up your account, you'll be asked to select values for From and To. From must be Interledger.
For To, select the currency you want to receive your Coil earnings in (e.g., Bitcoin, XRP, Euro, etc.). The default currency may depend on the country you selected when signing up. If you selected United States, for example, your default may be US Dollars.
- App - If you're still in the Sign Up flow, tap Fund my account. If you're on the Portfolio screen, tap Transact in the toolbar.
- Website - Click Transact in the toolbar.
- Select the From menu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list and select Interledger.
- If you don't want your earnings paid out in the default currency (the example below shows USD), tap the To menu.
- Select the currency you want your earnings converted to. The QR code screen updates with the selected currency and a newly generated payment pointer.
- Copy your payment pointer. You'll need this when you set up your free Coil account.
- Tap Done. The Portfolio screen appears.